Date: 1500-1600
Language: French
Origin: chimiste, from Modern Latin chimista, from Medieval Latin alchimista 'alchemist', from alchymia; ALCHEMY


chem‧ist S3 [countable]
1HC a scientist who has special knowledge and training in chemistry
2 British EnglishMN someone trained to prepare drugs and medicines, who works in a shop [= pharmacist American English]
3 British English a shop where you can buy medicines, beauty products etc [= pharmacy; = drugstore AmE]

pharmacist, pharmacy, chemist, chemist's, drugstore
A pharmacist is someone who prepares and sells medicines. This is the usual word in American English, but in British English pharmacist is slightly technical and it is more usual to use the word chemist.The place where a pharmacist works is a pharmacy. This can be a shop, part of a shop, or part of a hospital. Pharmacy is the usual word in American English. In British English, you usually refer to the part of a hospital that prepares and gives out medicines as a pharmacy , but the usual word for a shop where medicines are prepared and sold is a chemist or a chemist's. In Britain chemists usually also sell other things, such as beauty and baby products. A shop like this in the United States is called a drugstore.See also pharmacist

Explore CHEMISTRY Topic

Word of the Day
The CHEMISTRY Word of the Day is:

Other related topics