City, the

City, the also the City of London British English
an area in central London where there are many large banks and financial organizations, including The Bank of England and The Stock Exchange. The City has an area of about one square mile (about 2.5 square kilometres), and it is sometimes called "the Square Mile", especially in newspapers. Its name is sometimes used to mean the people who work there and make important financial decisions. There is a similar area in New York City called Wall Street:
The City is optimistic about the outlook for inflation.
a firm of City stockbrokers

Dictionary pictures of the day
Do you know what each of these is called?
What is the word for picture 1? What is the word for picture 2? What is the word for picture 3? What is the word for picture 4?
Click on any of the pictures above to find out what it is called.