Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English homepage

estate agent

Related topics: Occupations, Buildings
estate agent [countable]
British EnglishBOTBB someone whose business is to buy and sell houses or land for people [= real estate agent, realtor American English]
estate agency noun [countable]
types of house: terraced house British English/row house American English one of several houses that are joined together
detached house
British English a house that is not joined to another house
semi-detached house
British English a house that is attached to another house on one side
a small house in the country
British English a small house with one floor
American English a house that is divided into two separate homes
also flat British English a set of rooms where someone lives, which is part of a larger building
/condo American English an apartment in a large building, which is owned by the people who live there
studio apartment
/studio also bedsit British English an apartment with one main room and no separate bedroom

a very large house: mansion, palace, country house British English, stately home British English

someone who sells houses and land: estate agent British English, real estate agent American English, realtor American English

someone who rents a house from another person: tenant

someone who owns a house and rents it to people: landlord, landlady

See also

Dictionary pictures of the day
Do you know what each of these is called?
What is the word for picture 1? What is the word for picture 2? What is the word for picture 3? What is the word for picture 4?
Click on any of the pictures above to find out what it is called.

Explore our topic dictionary